Sunday, September 7, 2008

CARNIVORE or VEGAN?

I haven't always considered myself a carnivore. In fact, there were many years of my youth where I never ate hamburgers. I simply convinced myself that I didn't eat red meat. Then one day, I buckled and had a cheeseburger. Becoming violently ill due to my systems' intolerance for the rich meat- you would think I'd have sworn it off for life. On the contrary, I became a lover of all meats red & rare. Filet Mignon with Bernaise sauce, Juicy Lucy hamburgers, BBQ Beef Brisket.... I'm drooling just thinking about those high protein artery cloggers. So, imagine my discomfort when my date last night took me to a charming little venue called "Blossom"- An organic, vegan, kosher restaurant in my new neighborhood- the Upper West Side. Being the overly prepared planner I am, I google'd the restaurant an hour prior to the date in order to research my selection, all the while consuming two slices of Papa John's since I was positive the bean curd seitan wouldn't fill me up. Surprise of all surprises, my meal was delicious. Raw gluten-free couscous with almonds and dried cranberries, sauteed carrots and zucchini paired with an organic Argentinian Malbec- unexpected, memorable, delicious. My mind travelled back to a few hours prior to the meal when my roommate and I were discussing the foods that are a big, fat "no-no" on dates. No-no #1: Mexican- can lead to bad breath, indigestion, and the worst of all date faux-pas, gas. No-no #2: Salad. Although healthy and not-too-filling, those leaves are too large to consume without drawing attention to yourself, they will most likely get stuck in your teeth, and finally, Balsamic Vinaigrette is tough to remove from a silk cocktail dress : (
Therefore, I have come to the conclusion that raw, vegetarian food is the safest fare for the semi- self conscious dater who wants to enjoy her meal, yet leave with a clear conscience and clear digestive track. 

Next time you're in NYC, I strongly recommend going green:

No comments: