Sunday, November 16, 2008

Rollie Awards

As many of you know, this will be my first year away from home for Thanksgiving. Luckily, I get to be a part of the uber-Americana tradition... the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade!!! My boss is in charge of the Uptown Grandstands (bleachers that line Central Park West and seat approx. 10,000 people) so naturally, she convinced me to not only volunteer, but to be a captain! One of the biggest differences between Macy's North in Mpls. and Macy's East is the parade culture. The hard-core parade volunteers take it very seriously! The clowns even have to go to Clown University for training! Every year, the Rollie Awards are held to honor outstanding parade volunteers...and after 6 consecutive parades, you get the esteemed Rollie...a trophy in the likeness of, you guessed it, a clown! Since I'm a captain, I was invited to attend this amazing event at the New York Times Building. Guest of honor is the still fabulous and hilarious- Betty White, who hosted the parade for many years in the 1960's with Lorne Greene. It was a memorable night that energized and excited me to be a part of this fabulous tradition.

Jesse & Tina in front of a Macy's star balloon

Betty White!

Me waiting outside the bathroom to ambush Betty!

Prior to the event, we stopped at a dirty little bar near Port Authority and I met the classiest woman- Gloria, who showed me her FIERCE sunglasses that she's had for 40 years!

Matt & Jesse looking classy with their PBR's

No comments: